The computers in the TUNI EXAM facilities have access to over 30 different software applications. The use of the software cannot be restricted by exam.
List of software
- Calculator (shortcut on desktop)
- ChemSketch 2020.1.2 Freeware
- CodeBlocks 20.03 + MinGW compiler and debugger
- Dia 0.97.2
- Haskell Platform 8.6.5
- IrfanView 4.51
- IBM SPSS Statistics 29
- Matlab R2023a
- Microsoft Office 2019: Word, Excel, PowerPoint (no spelling and grammar checker)
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Mozilla Firefox ESR
- Node.js 8.12.0 LTS
- Notepad++ 7.6.3
- NVDA screen reader (in test use in Accessible Exam room PC201 on Hervanta Campus)
- Paint (Windows 10 default app)
- PDF viewer (Windows 10 default app)
- PHP for Windows 5.6
- PyCharm Community Edition 2018.1
- Python 3.7.3 (default modules + NumPy, Matplotlib, Pandas)
- R 3.6.2
- R-Studio 1.1.456
- RuSlav, Russian keyboard layout for Windows (in Tools menu on Windows desktop)
- 7-Zip 16.00
In addition to the previous, the exam computers have been enabled to access the following online applications: Plussa, WETO (Exam Weto) and ÄlyOppi Moodle (STACK questions). These web applications have separate user restrictions. Please note that an exam visit is not possible if the exam is taken in Plussa, Weto or ÄlyOppi Moodle.
Software requirements of exams
Teacher, if you don’t find the software you need for your exam from the software list, think about whether you can use some other software that is already in use on the exam computers. For example, you can draw diagrams in a variety of ways with PowerPoint and Dia. Computers in EXAM facilities deliberately have a more limited range of software than the general computer labs.
If no suitable option is found, you can contact EXAM support (email@example.com), and let us know what you need. The joint EXAM team of Tampere universities evaluate the new software needs and when needed, maps out different solution options. Please note the following:
- In the message, state your target schedule. Please contact us at least two months in advance.
- The license of the software must be open source, a completely freeware license or a license covering all users of the Tampere universities.
- If a software’s license only allows a certain limited number of simultaneous users, it is unlikely to be suitable for EXAM use unless the number of simultaneous users allowed is very high.
- Programs are installed in all EXAM facilities and on all exam computers.
- The programs to be installed must be as widely used in teaching as possible.
Use of attachments
The examiner can add one attachment to the exam. In addition to this attachment, question-specific attachments are possible in the exam. The maximum size of one attachment is 50 MB. The exam must contain only attachments, which can be opened with the software available on the exam computer.
Tip: Small (less than 50 Mt) programs that can be used without installation can be attached to the exam.
Only one answer file can be attached to one exam answer. If your answer consists of multiple files, compress them to a ZIP folder. Right-click the answer file and select Send to. Then select Compressed (zipped) folder. Move all the files you want to the same zipped folder and finally attach it to the exam answer in the EXAM system.
Image, audio and video files
- Image file formats opened from EXAM directly to image viewer: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, bmp, tiff, tif, pbm
- Audio/video file formats opened from EXAM directly to media player: mp3, wma, wav, flac, m4a, mp4, mov, wmv, mpg, mpeg
You can check the possible computer accessories from the EXAM room information pages. For example, headset, touch-screen display and Wacom drawing screen are available in certain EXAM rooms. If your exam requires the use of an accessory, please select it in the exam settings on the Basic information page (Special requirements for the exam computers and attachments). In this way, the exam booking of the students are automatically directed to the EXAM rooms and computers where the accessory in question is available during the exam.
Most EXAM computers have a touch-screen display, the accuracy of which is equivalent to drawing on a marker board. In addition, new Wacom drawing screens have been acquired, the accuracy of which is more similar to drawing and writing on paper.
Wacom drawing screen
Wacom Cintiq 16 drawing screen is well suited for exams where answering a question involves drawing, writing by hand, or counting by hand. The slope of the screen can be changed to fit your drawing position and the drawing quality corresponds to the accuracy of drawing on paper. The drawing option available on touch screens on typical EXAM computers is again more like drawing on a marker board.
If your electronic exam requires the use of a drawing screen, you will need to select the software “Drawing screen (Wacom)” on the Basic information page of the exam. In this way, students’ exam bookings are automatically redirected only on computers with a Wacom drawing screen. The use of the drawing screen should also be mentioned in the instruction shown during the exam booking, so that students are aware of what accessories or software are required to take the exam.
You can create a test exam in the EXAM system to test the Wacom drawing screen. The test exam works like a real exam, so be sure to follow the electronic exam instructions.
Drawing screen instructions:
Use the drawing screen with Wacom stylus, which you can find in the holder located on the right side of the screen. The drawing screen responds only to its own stylus. There is a rubber on the narrower end of the stylus. When drawing or writing, you can let the palm rest on the drawing screen. The slope of the screen can be changed to fit your drawing position with the pedestal behind the screen.
The drawing screen is used with the software of your choice. For example, you can use Word, PowerPoint or Paint, if it is not otherwise instructed in the exam. While working on the exam answer, you should at times save the answer file to the computer. When you are ready, save the answer file to the computer for example as a PDF file, and attach it to the EXAM system. You will find more detailed instructions on how to use the drawing screen with Word next to the exam computer. Apply the instructions if necessary.
Instruction videos :